When you’re tasked with making a last minute salad but have limited fresh ingredients at home, what can you do? Improvise with some pantry staples!
A common myth is that canned or frozen fruit and vegetables are not as nutritious as fresh, but this is not true! Canned and frozen foods are generally cheaper, convenient, and are just as nutritious as their fresh counterparts! Since they’re shelf stable, I love to keep them in stock to use as back up or on those days when I’m time poor!
This crunchy and juicy Mediterranean-inspired side salad is one example of what you can do with some pantry staples when you’re short on time (takes less than 10 minutes)!
- 1 large can four bean mix, rinsed and drained
- 1 large can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Simply mix all ingredients together and serve! You can top with your favourite cheese or Halloumi or a pinch of salt ☺️