Ingredients (all quantities and ingredients variable depending on preference):
(Makes approx. 4 serves)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons dried raisins
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients except cinnamon in a bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon to taste, and mix again.
- Line a baking tray with foil, and thinly and evenly spread muesli mix onto pan.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, or until golden brown or crunchy.
- Allow to cool before serving with your favourite milk or yoghurt, or storing in a jar for later!
- Substitute other fruits, nuts or seeds to suit your own taste!
- When choosing dried fruits, be sure to choose varieties that don’t have added sugar.
- Opt for raw nuts rather than salted – increased sodium intake also increases blood pressure.
- Be weary of adding too much dried fruit – fructose is still sugar!
- Try adding dried coconut flakes, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries etc. for different textures!
- Too crunchy for you? Try a soaked muesli! Soak the oats in water or your preferred milk overnight with the ground cinnamon. Mix with other ingredients before serving – either cold, or heated up.
Nutrient Break Down:
- Oats are an excellent source of dietary fibre, protein, magnesium and iron.
- Nuts are rich in magnesium, protein, iron, polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats (“good fats”), calcium, vitamin E, zinc and fibre. Be sure to consume only a small portion each day, though, as they are also high in kilojoules!
- Seeds are also rich in magnesium, iron, fibre, “good fats” and potassium.
- Phytic acid in oats, nuts and seeds may inhibit the absorption of many nutrients. Soaking these ingredients before cooking may help, but studies are still conflicting regarding its effectiveness.
- 1 serve (approx. 3-4 tablespoons) provides:
- 1 serve of grains
- 1/2 serve of fruit
- 1/2 serve of lean meat/poultry/nuts & seeds
- Served with 250mL milk or yoghurt or dairy alternative: + 1 serve of dairy